Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Author X. Williamson Interview




Interview With Author 

X. Williamson



Interview Questions



Can you tell us a little about yourself?


Wow, that's a broad question! I never really know what to say when they ask me this, but let's hope I can say something interesting.


I'm Uruguayan, yet I come from a quite multicultural family. I guess that has been really positive since it always helped me to learn different languages easily. I'm a teacher, a student and a huge animal lover. I hope I had more time to write though, sometimes it's hard to juggle work, study, real life and writing!


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


Yes. Since I was very young, storytelling was quite common in my family. My father would tell me lots of ghost stories and I recall always trying to make him tell me darker and darker stories each time. He invented the most fabulous vampires and werewolves you can imagine! I loved them. My mom, on the other hand, would read to me anything I asked her to read to me. She was always surrounded by books and I loved it!


I guess it was the mixture of both that made me want to write, I had a very active imagination and I wanted to see my stories and poems in writing. I've always felt inclined to write my thoughts and feelings rather than just saying them.


What surprised you the most about the writing/publishing process?


It's complexity! You have to do SO MANY things! The process itself is quite stressing, but once you see the product and you discover that people actually want to read what you wrote it is amazing.


How do you develop your plots and characters? Do you use any set formula?


I don't really use any set formulas for that, plots and characters just flow into my head. When I'm writing I just feel the words pouring into paper or my PC, sometimes I even feel that my characters create themselves! Still, when I start reading and checking my drafts I sometimes realize that I put a lot of myself into the characters. I sometimes write about my dreams, desires, fears and even my darkest corners... all with a twist of course! For descriptions I use things I've seen or I dreamt about, and for my character descriptions I sometimes mix up several of my friend's or my personal traits ;)


What, in your opinion, are the most important elements of good writing?


A good story! As a reader I like stories that make me feel the characters or the settings. I like to have the authors make me believe the story is possible, no matter how crazy the plot is.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?


Sure, no problem! I'm a little far behind on my writing... I'm a little bit ashamed to admit... but I'm working on it. I have 3 different projects going on so far: The sequel of "Distract My Hunger", its spanish translation and another novel with a completely different topic (it's not about vampires or anything paranormal this time).


In Twitter Fashion use 140 characters or less, sum Distract My Hunger for us.


Distract My Hunger is a unique vampire book where acceptance of oneself is the key to overcome anything!


How did you come up with a story that was such a whirl wind of events?


I've always loved vampire stories, I'm an avid reader myself actually! About four years ago I was thinking about the exact vampire story I'd like to read and suddenly I realized I should just sit down and write it. I wanted a story that was full of images and easy flowing... and that's basically it!


How long did it take you to write it, and did you have any writer’s block along the way?


I wrote the first draft of "Distract my hunger" back in 2007, I had most of the storyline set by then and was really happy with it. I'm not really sure why, but I left it for some time until 2010. Last year my fiancee started telling me I should polish it and try to publish it... he managed to convince me and thanks to that it came to light!


Luckily I've never had to deal with writer's block, I hope I never have to face it. I would feel completely powerless I guess.


Will we be seeing a following book to this stories?


It's being brewed! ;)


How did you come up with the character Iris?


I came up with her character in a funny way actually, she was created from my own mood swings! Let me explain it a little better, her character first had a personality and only after that developed a face. It is not that I created a fictional version of myself, please don't get me wrong! I came up with certain personality traits I thought I would have if I had to face a certain situation, and then I exaggerated some things and smoothed others.


She doesn´t look like anybody I know really. I wanted to make her different yet believable and that's how the idea of her eyes came up. It was just eerie enough to be suitable for a paranormal story yet I think it is not extremely far fetched.


I sometimes feel her character as one of those friends you have a love-hate relationship with, she can be obnoxious at times but I love her essence anyway. I liked using her as the narrating voice for the story.


I always must ask, If you could pick one actress to portray Iris on the big screen who would it be and why?


That's a great question actually, you can't imagine how many readers have told me they read the book and thought it would be a good story to be on film.


The truth is though, I never though much about what would be the "ideal" cast... I'd love the readers to have a say in that!


Anyway if I have to just say a few names now, I think that Zooey Deschanel would make a fabulous Iris, I can easily imagine her playing the role. Another actress could be Megan Fox maybe. Both are quite different but each one could add something interesting to the character.


Was there anything you found particularly challenging when writing this book?


Actually yes, it was really hard for me to imagine Jonathan! I knew how I wanted his personality to be but his was something that simply dodged me! I could close my eyes and see and breathe all the other characters, even the minor ones... but Jonathan was a complete challenge. Funny thing is that once I got a clear mental image of him, it was even stronger than the others. Of all the characters he became the one I can imagine with better detail now!


What were your feelings when you first saw the cover of your finished book?


My heart just stopped! It felt so unreal, I couldn't believe it! It was one of the most amazing, frightening and strange moments of my whole life.


Thank you so much Melissa for this interview! You came up with amazing questions and I trully loved answering them.


Keep up the good work with your amazing page!


Thanks Ms. WIlliamson!


Find This Author and her book at:


Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/xwilliamson.author


Goodreads:   http://www.goodreads.com/xwilliamson


Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/Distract-my-hunger-X-Williamson/dp/1617644692/ref=tmm_pap_title_0


See Her Previous Post on Were Vamps Romance:


WVR (Blogger) - http://werevampsromance.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-review-book-giveaway-with-author-x.html

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...