Monday, April 4, 2011

Author Interview With Kat Holmes!!!


Author Interview
With
Kat Holmes!!!

How long have you been writing and how did you start? What are your inspirations?

I’ve been writing since I was a kid. I’ve always had a love for reading and that just translated into telling stories. I couldn’t find the kind of stories I was truly interested in so I decided to write them. As for my inspirations there are many. You can get inspired from anything. One story came about because of a photograph. This story, Frozen came about because of my love for the winter season.

What first attracted you to the concept of a untouchable ice heroine? Also, what do you like or dislike in a heroine?

I liked the fact that it would take an amazing set of events for her to have a happily ever after. It would take great risk and sacrifice on both the heroine’s and the hero’s parts to have a happy ending.

As for what I like and dislike in heroines, that’s easy. I like a woman who doesn’t absolutely need to be involved with someone to be happy, a woman who knows her own strength. I hate stories where the woman is this weak damsel in distress who can’t do anything for herself without the help of a man. That just sets my teeth on edge.

Everybody loves the men in books and Brent was no exception. How did you develop this character personality, background, and family?

I didn’t. He just came to me. Like all my characters my muse just runs away with it. But Brent was special to me. I loved having a man who’s not alpha and is proud of that but still is strong and comes through when you need him. He was a joy to write.

I love to ask, If you were to pick one actor that best fits Brent, who would it be and why?

Hmm that’s hard because he’s bald.:-) Not a lot of young bald actors. Ad though he’s a singer I think Chris Daughtry best fits the image I have of him.

I love the storyline/plot, is there any formula that you used?

Nope I sit down and type. I never have any idea where my stories are going to go other than a very basic, and I do mean basic, plotline. Beyond that even I’m in the dark until it is done.
What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I write when I first get up only. I need to feel fresh and awake. Otherwise I struggle to get my ideas down coherently.

Your book has two realities, our world as we know it and Artica. How did you come to develop the land, customs, and traditions of Artica?

Artica is a land of eternal winter and I knew I wanted that. I also wanted my heroine to be the ruler of that world so I drew a bit on our own histories of monarchies. But much of the story came from my love of mythology and magic. I love fantasy so Artica really was easy to create.

The emotions of loneliness and loss in this book seemed to be the strongest, and it really pulled me in. Do you use inspirations or a set formula to create this reaction in your readers?

Thanks.  I definitely just go by intuition and inspiration. But I also draw on my own history too to help create the emotions. I try to paint with words the way we’d all feel if we were in that situation and I’m glad to know I succeeded.

I loved this story, will there be a sequel that reader can expect to see in the future?

Oh yes, Frozen is book one in the Artica Lights series. I’m currently working on a book for another series but as soon as I finish that I’ll begin book two in this series.

What are your current projects?

Oh goodness I have a ton. I’m working on the 6th book in my Gods At Work series, then book two of the Artica Lights and then book two in my new vampire series. Plus I have an idea rolling around in my head for a new story. Those projects will fill my year up.

Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

On the very rare occasion yes. I’m the kind of person who can only work on one story at a time. I can’t step away from a story and work on another. So what I do is take a day or two away and then go back to my story fresh. It always works for me.

Character names seems to be one thing writer have a hard time fitting to their character personality matrix, did you find it hard?

PhotobucketNo I have no trouble with characters. In fact my muse loves to pick out character names and create their personalities. And if I’m working on a series she delights in creating a character in one book that I just know will end up with their own.

Thank you so much for stoping by for Author Month here at Were Vamps Romance!!

Find the book at:

2 comments:

Denise K. Rago said...

Your love of creating comes through in every line of your interview. Thank you for sharing with us.

Gabby said...

Your sort of a new author for me but I love the cover for your Frozen novel.

Was the look of the cover a hard thing to picture or did you come up with it after the story was finished?

Thanks for your insights!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...