Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Rebecca A. Rogers - Author Interview & Book Review

PhotobucketFor seventeen-year-old Candra Lowell, senior year is supposed to be the time of her life. It’s not supposed to include being shipped off to her aunt and uncle’s house for 'her own good'. Whatever that means. There’s only bad news from this experience—when she learns she’ll go from human to werewolf in a few months. Complete with an inherited unique power.

At her aunt and uncle's house, Candra is plagued with nightmares of a whispering forest and glowing eyes, and a shadowy figure, who issues a warning—she needs to leave town. Candra tries to dismiss the haunting images, but when the shadowy figure appears outside of her home, Candra realizes she should've obeyed.

Candra learns the meaning of the stalker’s warnings when she discovers she’s the new favorite target of a rival pack. She isn't just a werewolf—she's a werewolf in the middle of a feud that makes the Montagues and Capulets look like best friends. She’s also made a mess of things by falling for her sworn enemy. Worse, the rival pack wants the power Candra will receive on her eighteenth birthday. To protect her family and friends, Candra can’t run or hide; she must face her foes, even if it means death.

My Review:

Great Book for Debut! Character were awesome, I love the sassy Candra. The world setting is much like our own. Plot and storyline was great, as well as, the pace. The only thing I did have a problem with was the writing style. It was a little jumpy. An easy fix in the next book. Other then that I think this book will turn into a great series! Great potential!

My Review: 4 Stars


Author Interview

PhotobucketCan you tell us a little about yourself?

Sure! I’m a legal secretary by day, avid reader and writer by night. I drink way too much coffee, love animals and dark chocolate, and own too many books and shoes. I’m currently attending college to become a graphic designer.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I’ve been writing since I was a little girl, but I mostly stuck to short fiction and poetry. I wasn’t serious about writing a novel until 2004, when I decided to challenge myself. Since then, I haven’t stopped.

What surprised you the most about the writing/publishing process?

I always find it surprising when my characters reveal a major plot point, or when something happens in the story that I never planned. It’s strange how that works out. They definitely know more than I do.

How do you develop your plots and characters? Do you use any set formula?

The characters usually come to me with personalities so strong I have no choice but to write their story, and I usually let them do the talking. So, when I write, the only formula I use is a very, very basic outline (one-sentence lines) of what happens in the book. Otherwise, I’m a pantser and don’t know what’s going on half the time. :)

What, in your opinion, are the most important elements of good writing?

This is a good question. I’m sure a lot of people would say it is grammar/punctuation, or maybe character development and overall plot, but I would have to say it’s the voice. If I pick up a book and it doesn’t have a voice, then I won’t be engrossed. The better the voice, the more I relate to the main character(s).

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Silver Moon is about a girl (Candra Lowell) who is sent to live with her aunt and uncle after some trouble at home. Later, she realizes that she wasn’t sent there because of her minor incident back home, she was sent to train to become a werewolf. Not only does she have to adapt to this change, but she’s also the target of a rival pack—a pack that has had it out for her family for years. They want the inherited unique power she’ll receive on her eighteenth birthday and won’t stop until they get it.

In Twitter Fashion use 140 characters or less to sum up Silver Moon for us.

Rival werewolves + romance with enemy + creepy shadow man + dark magic = Silver Moon.

:)

How did you come up with a story that was such a whirlwind of events?

I really don’t know. I know that sounds crazy, but it just came to me. I started Silver Moon in 2004 (it wasn’t titled then, had a totally different cast of characters and was only thirteen chapters), but then my laptop crashed and I lost everything. (Always back up your work!) I picked it up again in 2008 and then rewrote it yet again in 2010. Most of the book has evolved so much that I don’t know what’s from the original and what’s from the most recent version. The entire story is like veggie soup—I threw everything in, let it simmer for a while, mixed it up, and then hoped everything came out the way I wanted it.

How long did it take you to write it, and did you have any writer’s block along the way?

I don’t remember how long it took in 2004, but I do know in 2008 it took me about three months. I think it was about the same for the full rewrite in 2010. I always have writer’s block. That’s when I know, though, that it’s time for me to take a break. I’ll watch TV, read a book, or get out and do something so I can clear my head.

Will we be seeing a following book to this story?

Yes! I’m very excited for the sequel, which will be released sometime next year (hopefully spring). Candra will have to transform on her eighteenth birthday, figure out what her unique magical power is, and deal with even more threats from the Conways.

How did you come up with the character Candra?

All I knew when I began to write her for the first time was that she and this boy wanted to be together, but couldn’t because their families hated each other. Later, the werewolf aspect was added in, along with countless other characters. But the character of Candra slowly evolved from this shy girl to a tough, kicka$, soon-to-be werewolf.

I always must ask, if you could pick one actress to portray Candra on the big screen who would it be and why?

Emma Roberts. She is exactly how I envision Candra, and I think she could definitely pull it off.



Photobucket

Was there anything you find particularly challenging when writing this book?

Trying to keep it different from other paranormal stories out there. I know some people compare everything to Twilight now, especially love triangles and anything with vampires and werewolves, just like all dystopian books are compared to The Hunger Games. So, I knew I had to watch myself. I just wish people would read books for the story aspect and not constantly compare them to others.

What were your feelings when you first saw the cover of your finished book?

I designed it, but I was very proud! :) It was simple and depicted the novel in a new—silver—light.




Amazon (Paperback) - http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Moon-1-Rebecca-Rogers/dp/0615477445



NOTE FROM AUTHOR:
I'd like readers to know is that I'm releasing another book (not the sequel to this one) on August 1st. :)

4 comments:

Devon Ashley said...

Read it. Loved it. :)

lindalou said...

Congrats on your new release AND your upcoming release!

tears_of_fire said...

I really like the description of this book. It sounds interesting and I will have to add it to my to be read list. :)

Rebecca A. Rogers said...

Thanks for doing this, Melissa!

And thanks, lindalou! I hope everyone enjoys. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...