Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Debra Mullins - Author Guest Post - Upcoming Paranormal Romance writer!

PhotobucketHi, everyone! I’d like to thank Melissa for having me as a guest during Author Month. My name is Debra Mullins, and I have written fourteen historical romances for Avon Books. I am also currently contracted for a contemporary paranormal romance trilogy for Tor. Some people might think that writing historicals and paranormals are completely opposite from each other, but actually these two subgenres have one important thing in common:
 World building.

Historicals and paranormals both require the author to create a believable world that sucks the reader in and completely captivates her, whether it’s a glittering Regency ballroom with dukes and ladies or a contemporary world filled with vampires and werewolves.

In my upcoming paranormal trilogy, I’ve created a world where the descendents of the survivors of Atlantis have psychic abilities and have blended in with normal humans over the centuries. The first book in the series introduces a Seer who has lost his faith and needs to stop the villain from collecting the three stones of power of ancient Atlantis. To do this, I had to first create the society of Atlantis, then determine how it affects the descendants in the modern world. Book one of this series is due out in summer 2012, tentatively titled Prodigal Son.


PhotobucketMy current historical series from Avon, The Brides of Nevarton Chase, takes place in Victorian England. In book one, Tempting A Proper Lady, villainous Lord Raventhorpe tries to marry an innocent heiress—until the hero teams up with the wedding planner to spoil the wedding and keep the bride from marrying a man he knows to be evil. In book two, Too Wicked To Love, Lord Raventhorpe continues his dirty deeds when he realizes the secret identity of humble coachman John Ready, who could potentially expose Raventhorpe’s crimes from long ago. With smart and gutsy Genny by his side, John fights for his life as he races to expose the truth and hopefully finally trap Raventhorpe. Too Wicked To Love hits the shelves in June 2011.
Photobucket


If you’d like to read an excerpt, check out my website at
 
http://www.debramullins.com/
 
You can also follow me on Twitter at
 
www.twitter.com/debramullins

9 comments:

Denise K. Rago said...

Sounds like a great read, and creating an Atlantean society? Wow!

Dawn Chartier said...

These books sound like my type of read...Great interview Debra and Melissa.

Dawn Chartier
www.dawnchartier.com

DeAnna Cameron said...

I love your historicals, Debra -- and I can't wait for the paranormal. So exciting!

Beth Yarnall said...

Great way to put it, Debra. If the world building isn't there the story misses that certain something. Can't wait for your new paranormal series!

Gabby said...

Neat! I love historical romances! With your experience I was wondering?

What kind of world was/is harder for you to build the world of a historical romance or the world of a paranormal romance?

erin said...

I'm super excited to read the new paranormal.

Mia said...

All of these sound like great reads and I cannot wait until the Paranormals come out.

Charlene Sands said...

Hi Deb
Your books all sound fascinating. I'm amazed at the world building aspect of vampire stories!!

Debra Mullins said...

Well, I've been trying to answer the comments all day, but the internet has not been cooperating! To answer Gabby's comment, I think it's easier to build the paranormal world. After all, I'm creating everything from my imagination, whereas the historical world is documented, and if I make one mistake, there is someone in the world who will know about it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...